Yoga is a trend that has been flourishing from the years; rather this has become a trendsetter in maintaining both physical and mental well-being. Each Yogic activity is a key to improving flexibility, strength, balance and attaining harmony.
What is yoga?
Yoga is an ancient practice that involves physical poses, concentration, and deep breathing. A regular yoga practice can promote trusted Source endurance, strength, calmness, flexibility, and well-being. Yoga is a trend that has been flourishing for years; rather this has become a trendsetter in maintaining both physical and mental well-being. Each Yogic activity is a key to improving flexibility, strength, balance, and attaining harmony.
The first mention of the word “yoga” appears in Rig Veda, a collection of ancient texts. Yoga comes from the Sanskrit word “Yuj,” which means “union” or “to join.” The word “Yoga” essentially means, “that which brings you to reality”. Literally, it means “union.” Union means it brings you to the ultimate reality, where individual manifestations of life are surface bubbles in the process of creation. Yoga can be traced back to northern India over 5,000 years ago. Indian monks spread their knowledge of yoga in the West during the late 1890s. Modern yoga teachings became widely popular in Western countries by the 1970s.
The overall philosophy of yoga is about connecting the mind, body, and spirit. There are six branches of yoga. Each branch represents a different focus and set of characteristics.
The six branches are:
- Hatha yoga: This is the physical and mental branch that aims to prime the body and mind.
- Raja yoga: This branch involves meditation and strict adherence to a series of disciplinary steps known as the eight limbs of yoga.
- Karma yoga: This is a path of service that aims to create a future free from negativity and selfishness.
- Bhakti yoga: This aims to establish the path of devotion, a positive way to channel emotions and cultivate acceptance and tolerance.
- Jnana yoga: This branch of yoga is about wisdom, the path of the scholar, and developing the intellect through study.
- Tantra yoga: This is the pathway of ritual, ceremony, or consummation of a relationship.
Benefits of yoga
Yoga has many physical and mental benefits, including
- building muscle strength
- enhancing flexibility
- promoting better breathing
- supporting heart health
- helping with treatment for addiction
- reducing stress, anxiety, depression, and chronic pain
- improving sleep
- enhancing overall well-being and quality of life
Yoga is an ancient practice that has changed over time. Modern yoga focuses on poses designed to stimulate inner peace and physical energy. Ancient yoga did not place as much emphasis on fitness. Instead, it revolved around cultivating mental focus and expanding spiritual energy.
There are many different types of yoga available. The style a person chooses will depend on their expectations and level of physical agility. People with certain health conditions, such as sciatica, should approach yoga slowly and with caution. Yoga can help support a balanced, active lifestyle.